Volume 2: Mathematicians - Mathematics Investigations
Volume 2: Mathematics Investigations - Mathematicians
This set of 8 mathematics investigations are based on 'Mathematicians'. Students are encouraged to choose a topic of interest that is designed to extend and challenge their abilities. Students engage with sustained exploration of mathematical concepts, where they are encouraged to increase their mathematically fluency and engage their reasoning skills. This task card set includes:
- a 'how to' guide when facilitating a mathematics investigation.
- 1 x 'work in progress' example to outline the expectations of a mathematics investigation.
- activities to extend breadth of knowledge.
- challenging and abstract topics.
- extension activities for all task cards.
- an emphasis on student interest through choice and voice.
Mathematicians covered in this set include:
- Mathematicians (The History of Mathematics)
- Euclid of Alexandria (Origin of Geometry)
- Dmitri Mendeleev (The Periodic Table)
- Thomas Edison (The Light Bulb)
- Solomon W. Golomb (Pentominoes)
- Hán Xin (Chess)
- Édouard Lucas (Tower of Hanoi)
- Choice and Voice card - students can choose an area of interest
How to complete a mathematics investigation:
- encourage research
- allow students to choose their end product (a popular end product is displaying all information on as single A3 piece of paper)
- negotiate a time frame for completion
- as the teacher, your role is to guide, monitor and direct
Disclaimer: stationery, task card boxes and A3 examples are used for prop purposes and are not included in the digital download. Gifted and Talented Teacher does not refund or exchange digital products.